Friday, January 10, 2014

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

This book was a hard one to choose a rating for. The prose was lyrical and lovely but the story itself put my teeth on edge. I do understand that bad things happen but every single character in this book romanticized all the bad things. I can picture the thoughts floating through their minds: “There is something off about our neighbors but they all look perfect so it doesn’t matter. He molested her but he loved her so it’s okay. He did really bad things but he saved your life once.” Not a single character seemed to be able to think more than one thing about any given situation. It was too black and white and they all tried to fit everything into their first preconceived notion about the situation.

And I remember being a teenage girl, in the scheme of things it wasn’t even really all that long ago. I was probably confused about life throughout most of those years but I was not as naïve as all of the girls in this book were portrayed. It was sickening and there was no one in the story I was rooting for. I didn’t feel for any of the characters even though they were being faced with something so horrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment